Devotional: Miriam and Aaron Oppose Moses
Passage: Numbers 12
2 “Has the Lord spoken only through Moses?” they asked. “Hasn’t he also spoken through us?”
6 “When there is a prophet among you, I, the Lord, reveal myself to them in visions, I speak to them in dreams.
7 But this is not true of my servant Moses; he is faithful in all my house.
8 With him I speak face to face, clearly and not in riddles; he sees the form of the Lord.
13 So Moses cried out to the Lord, “Please, God, heal her!”
15 So Miriam was confined outside the camp for seven days, and the people did not move on till she was brought back.
- Mirriam and Aaron did not approve of Moses marrying a Cushite.
- Mirriam and Aaron believed they heard and communed with God just the same as Moses did.
- Moses was very humble, most humble in his day among men.
- God reveals himself by visions and dreams to prophets.
- Moses was faithful to God.God spoke with Moses face to face.
- God spoke with Moses plainly.
- Moses has seen the form of the Lord.
- Moses was not vengeful. He wasn’t appeased with seeing Mirriam chastised. He cried to God for immediate healing for her.
- The camp remained for 7 days and did not move until Mirriam was brought back.
- The special relationship Moses had with God didn’t cause him to view himself more special nor superior to others.
- They were presumptuous to think they had the same intimate relationship and fellowship with God.
- To Moses, it didn’t matter that Mirriam reaped consquences for what she did wrong. Moses didn’t look concerned about putting people in their place or making her suffer consequences for what she said about him
- It’s natural to want people to be chastised for wrongdoing but I want to develop this side of Moses’ character in my life, to not mind nor over concern myself with the wrongdoings of others against me and to be quick to forgive and restore relationship with others.
- As a new testament redeemed, I enjoy almost the same privileges Moses did which Mirriam and the others did not. Through God’s Word I see His form and He speaks to me plainly. I don’t need visions to know what is in His heart and plans. I am blessed with a deeper level of intimacy and communication with God.
- It is always wrong to assume yourself to be something, especially when it’s inaccurate. Scriptures caution us to always have a lowly mind and let God be the assessor of our heart and position before Him.
- Our wrongdoings often affect the lives of others. God’s people were set back for 7 days while they waited on Mirriam to heal and be restored back into the community. My family, my church, my friends; they risk being negatively affected by the wrong choices and acts that I make.
Thank you Father for the relationship you have allowed me to have with You through Jesus Christ. Forgive me for not being appreciative of this relationship and for not taking advantage of the easy access I have to You. Help me prioritize my time in prayer and hearing of Your Word. Help me listen to the Spirit’s communications with me.